What are some of the volunteer opportunities available?
At LAIH, volunteers and students participate in a variety of ways:
- The agency is governed by a volunteer Board of Directors, annually elected at the Annual General Meeting.
- LAIH depends on a contingent of Shift Support volunteers, who volunteer time on a regular basis and work in the shelter, along side agency staff. Volunteers assist residents in the shelter with a variety of needs and assist staff in maintaining the operational needs of the agency.
- Volunteers also assist with driving women to appointments and other necessary locations.
- Volunteers assist with grocery shopping
- Volunteers to foster our women’s pets while they are in shelter
- Volunteers to assist with maintenance tasks ranging from gardening to paint and repair work at our various sites throughout the community
- From time to time, volunteers assist with special events and projects undertaken by the agency. Examples include fundraising events, research and community development projects.
- Finally, the shelter accepts volunteer labour from local companies and social service organizations for specific and time limited projects such as property maintenance.
What does LAIH expect of me as a volunteer/placement student?
- Volunteers and placements must support the aims and beliefs of the agency
- Volunteers and placements must adhere to house rules, procedures and policies. Training covers essential and routine information. However, the agency maintains an up to date Policy Manual and Procedures Manual that are available at the shelter. Volunteers and placements are encouraged to read both manuals and consult them throughout the tenure with the agency.
- Volunteers and placements do not do or replace the work of paid staff members. Instead, their work enhances the services offered and managed by staff.
Can males volunteer at LAIH?
Volunteerism by men who support the agency's mandate and wish to contribute to ending violence against women is encouraged by the agency in the following capacity:
- Member of the Board of Directors
- Property enhancements, projects and maintenance
- Fundraising and community events
- Educational events or research projects
- Pet Foster Parents
LAIH limits the contribution of male volunteers and placements to activities outside of direct service contact with clients and that require only limited physical presence inside the living space of shelter or second stage facilities.
For more information or to begin the process to volunteer please call 613-354-0808.
Client Necessity Donations
Client Necessity Donations
Lennox and Addington Interval House accepts gently used donations for a woman (and her children) to move out into the community on her own. Here are some ideas of the items we accept:
- Hygiene Items (full and travel sized)
- Grocery Store or Gas Station Gift Cards
- Cleaning Supplies
- Dish Sets
- Small appliances (toasters, kettles)
- Shoes, slippers
- Furniture (couches, beds, dressers)
- Photo frames, wall hangings
- Linens (bedding, towels, face cloths)
- Dish cloths, dish towels
- Glasses, mugs
We do NOT accept used underwear or stuffed animals due to hygiene.
We also cannot accept car seats of any kind or cribs that do not meet current safety standards.**